Monday, February 8, 2016

Healthy Eating

Wow. I haven't been on here in literally forever. So today I decided that I might as well start back up again! :)

This semester I'm taking classes online at BYU-I. And let me tell you, I'm surprised I'm not dead yet. Haha. It's so time consuming and I may or may not have ended up in tears a few times. But it's fine. I'm starting to get the hang of it.. I think. :)

I'm taking Human Nutrition, Exercise Physiology, Personal Health and Fitness, Sociology, and The Eternal Family. For my Eternal Family class, we were challenged to set a goal about eating healthier and exercising. So I decided to try and eat a fruit and/or vegetable for at least 2 meals of the day and then exercise for 30 min for at least 4 days of the week. It addition to that, I also tracked my calories with every single food that I ate. It might sound like a pain to some people, but I actually loved it! I love learning about nutrition and the things that foods can do for our bodies.

So this morning I decided to get up and make a healthy breakfast. I found this recipe for banana oat greek yogurt muffins on this site http://www.runningwithspoons.com/2014/06/24/banana-oat-greek-yogurt-muffins/ and decided to give it a try! Instead of blending up the oats I just left them whole. I also didn't add the chocolate chips because first of all, my family is doing a health challenge and we can only have sweets for one day out the week. And second of all, I knew I'd eat all of them if they had chocolate chips in them. :)


Let me tell you, these things were DELICIOUS! I may or may not have eaten 2 of them. But, they are so much healthier than regular muffins! They don't contain any refined grains, just 100% whole wheat oats. They also have a good amount protein because of the greek yogurt, and there is a banana in them which is a good source of potassium and fiber. So basically they're packed with nutrients. :)


I ate these muffins as well as an orange while I did some personal study this morning. I read in D&C 89 about the Word of Wisdom and verse 16 stood out to me today. It says, "All grain is good for the food of man; as also the fruit of the vine; that which yieldeth fruit, whether in the ground or above the ground." I love that the Lord knows exactly what we need for our bodies to keep them healthy and strong! And I also love the promise that He gives us as we obey and follow the Word of Wisdom.



It's seriously such a cool promise. :) I love the scriptures and I love food and nutrition. So basically I love it when they're both combined. ;)

Eat healthier, people!! :)

Love,
Maurcine

No comments:

Post a Comment